Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chocolate Covered Cherries

This recipe was given to me by my Aunt Audra back in 2001 and I have made them every Christmas since then.  When I was growing up I had a neighbor who would give me and my sisters a box of chocolate covered cherries each for Christmas.  I think he started my love affair with these incredible candies.  Now that I know how to make my own, I don't buy boxed anymore.  These take about 2-3 weeks for the insides to liquefy so plan ahead if you are going to be making them as gifts.

Ingredients:
3 T unsalted butter, softened
3 T light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 pkg chocolate almond bark
1 large jar of stemmed cherries
1 pkg mini muffin liners

Drain cherries.  Put them in a bowl with paper towels and put them in the fridge to chill.

Combine butter, syrup and salt.

 Stir in powdered sugar.  You will have a big sticky ball and will have to use your hand to really mix.  Sometimes you need to chill it too.  

Take a tsp of sticky mixture to wrap around a cherry.

 Leave stem uncovered.  Place on wax paper and chill.

 Dip in melted chocolate and place in mini muffin cups.  I use the Ghirardelli chocolate because I have found that as far as taste and appearance go, it's the best.  Make sure to cover the whole cherry up to the stem.

Yummy!  Now just store them in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks and they'll be ready to eat!  I always eat a few after making them and they taste good too but it's so much better when the sugar has liquefied. 








Somewhat Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment